Sunday, November 19, 2006

The 22nd of November...

An odd date to be sure. One that saw our country deep in sorrow in 63. I can remember it somewhat...only two at the time your probably saying Huh? how could your remember a date from when you were two? Easy enough really...It was my birthday, hard not to forget shopping at the supermarket with your mother on your birthday when the main point of going there was to pick up the supplies, the cake, Ice cream and soda. An announcement came over the stores public address system, seems the store manager had the radio on in the back office at the time when the news was told. I remember hearing the address over the PA, not thinking much of it at the time. But, in that moment the world seemed to stop. Everyone stood where they were...as if the life had been sucked out of them. I remember my mother started to cry, now when your two, and you see your mother cry well your bound to join right in. The Pa system came on anew..the store manager had keyed it so the people in the store could hear the news reports coming in on the radio. It was about that time my dad returned from his trip to the connected drug store, the look of sadness and grief on his face is one I'll always remember. In my entire life I'd only seen that look on my dad's face twice, once on that day, and once again when my sister died many years later. Always a strong man he was not one to show his emotions, but what happened in Texas that day touched all and made our world a little colder.

With each birthday that passes now, I'm always reminded of that one. A day that should of been of happier thoughts and remembrances was now tarnished by what we all had lost. The bright future that had been stretched out before us was taken away. If the man had lived, had not gone to Texas that morning what might have transpired? Would we be where we are now? I don't know? All I do know is two year old's shouldn't have to see their parents break down and cry in a supermarket, parents shouldn't have to bury their children, and country's shouldn't have to grieve for lost leaders because someone thought their ideology was better.

For my birthday wish this year....I'll ask for peace...understanding.... and love. Seems like the world could use some of each right about now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home